Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 in Review - Story 3

Next on my review of my short fiction in 2017 is “The World Turned Upside Down” published in the Rocket’s Red Glare anthology from Rough Edges Press.

James Reasoner and Rough Edges is definitely one of the best, in terms of quality writing, small presses out there. His "Tales From the Otherverse" in 2015 was the best alternate history anthology of the year. I was a part of it, and it produced TWO finalists for the Sidewise awards, including the winner, Bill Crider's "It Doesn't Matter Any More"; James had the other finalist.

Shortly after "Otherverse" came out, I made an offhand comment from James that he should do a space-themed anthology with the U.S. as the good guys. He thought that was a good idea, and the outcome was "Rockets Red Glare".

I had a previously written story in mind to submit while it was being compiled, but then a couple of months before its issue date, I was invited to submit to the first issue of a new mag just starting up. The story I had already presented to James was such a good fit for the new mag that I asked if I could withdraw it and write a replacement.

That story, "The World Turned Upside Down", is one of my few forays into space. It's core concept is how artifacts and historical facts can be lost or misinterpreted. A reviewer on Amazon said "The penultimate story, by Hugo and Dragon award nominee Lou Antonelli, was an interesting contemplation on the Stars and Stripes from a future perspective on a post-nationalist Mars colony."

https://www.amazon.com/Rockets-Red-Glare-Brad-Torgersen-ebook/dp/B0728GCJ2S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...