Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Great news!


Got word today that Daily Science Fiction wants to publish my story "Great White Ship". Needless to say, I'm thrilled. It's the first time I've cracked that market, which pays pro rates. In fact, this will be my third pro rate sale, so once I sign the contract I will be able to upgrade my membership in the SFWA from Associate to Active member.

My previous two pro sales were "A Rocket for the Republic" in Asimov's in 2005 and "The Witch of Waxahachie" in Jim Baen's Universe in 2008.

"Great White Ship" will be my 59th story published since 2003. Daily Science Fiction just became the most recent SFWA-qualified market, only about a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

I've had a lot of cash sales over the years for small amounts, and in at least one case, I made a semi-pro sale that - because of the rate and length of the story - paid more than a pro sale, but this is only my third sale that meets the pro rate guideline.

In light of how this is only a sideline for me, and I enjoy my regular full-time job, I can't hardly complain. In fact, when I was speaking at the writers group I referred to in my previous post, someone asked me, whether if I had a choice, I would rather write fiction or be a journalist, I had to confess I'd rather be a journalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...