Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Back from Fencon

Because my current job requires me to work Saturdays, I was only to attend Fencon briefly. I left work Saturday about 3:30 p.m. and got to the Crown Plaza Hotel in Addison two hours later.

I checked in - quickly - and took a look at the souvenir program book, which included my story "Body by Fisher". The artist did a nice black and white wash drawing of a Old Delta Royale 88 - the same car that figures in the story - and it looked great. Sunday I bought an extra ten copies to give to co-workers, family members and friends.

I caught Carol Nelson Douglas at the autograph table just as she was leaving. I had promised a friend at work who is a big Midnight Louie fan that I would pick up a book. Pulled that off a the nick of time. I then attended Connie Willis' Guest of Honor talk at 6 p.m.

Willis was charming and funny. I found it very interesting to hear what went into her becoming both such a lover of literature and such an accomplished author. I later had the opportunity to chat with her both in the hallway and the con suite on Sunday.

Willis was wearing an "Impeach Bush" button - a rarity in Texas - and Sunday I mentioned the same thing I said to Gardner Dozois when I met him at Philcon in 2003: President Bush is not unanimously popular where I live. In East Texas, he is considered too LIBERAL.

Willis started to profess disbelief, but a local author sitting next to her jumped in and confirmed my tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...