Saturday, December 15, 2018

My list of personal - but unsung- favorites

The start of the nomination period for the Nebula Awards has made me think to pay tribute to stories I read in the past that I personally enjoyed very much but didn’t pick up any of the most prominent awards. I like to think it’s a testimony to how much great short fiction has been written over the years. My appreciation list is as follows, in chronological order:

1. “The Judas Bomb” – Kit Reed, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, April 1961.
2. “Eyes Do More Than See” – Isaac Asimov, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, April 1965 (Finalist for the Nebula, did not win).
3. “Wild, Wild Horses” – Howard Waldrop, Omni, June 1988.
4. “A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows” – Gardner Dozois, Asimov’s, Oct. – Nov. 1999 (Nebula finalist, did not win).
5. “Going After Bobo” – Susan Palwick, Asimov’s May 2000.
6. “The Raggle-Taggle Gypso-O” – Michael Swanwick, Tales of Old Earth, 2000.
7. “May Be Some Time” – Brenda Clough, Analog, April 2001 (A Hugo and Nebula finalist, but not a winner).
8. “Neutrino Drag” – Paul Di Filippo, Sci Fiction, August 2001.
9. “Lincoln in Frogmore” – Andy Duncan, Asimov’s, Oct. 2001.
10. “I Saw the Light” – Terry Bisson, Sci Fiction, Oct. 2002.

I began to write and submit myself in the fall of 2002, so I arbitrarily stop my list there.

1 comment:

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...