Wednesday, July 04, 2018

A busy ten days

It's nice to take this week off from work, the newspaper office is closed for our summer break. Last week was very busy. First, I attended Soonercon in Oklahoma City June 22-24. Then I came back and put out the June 28 edition of the paper. Then I turned right around and put together the July 5th edition of the paper. It was done Thursday.

In years past the paper has skipped the paper the week of the Independence Day holiday because our office is closed for summer break. but I decided we would still get our subscribers a paper. It was sent to the printer and then printed Monday, and put in the mail Tuesday so people would get it Thursday as usual.

Thursday I left for Chattanooga and Libertycon, staying over night on the way, and arriving Friday. I drove back to Clarksville Sunday. So it was a busy block of days.

I do have a confession to make regarding Libertycon: I shirked part of my duty. My last scheduled event was a reading at 1 p.m. Sunday. Two years ago, the last time I attended, I had ONE person come to my reading, Doug Loss. I met him at the con this year, and thanked him for coming last time.

Facing a 12-hour drive home, I felt leaving after the kaffeeklatsch versus the reading would probably decide whether I made the trip in one day, or whether I would have to stay overnight along the way. I decided the smart thing to do would be to leave at 10:30 a.m. and save the money. Things worked out as planned.

If anyone had attended my reading and wanted to buy a copy of my collection, I was already sold out. I didn't participate in the Authors' Alley, but I sold or gave away all the copies I had of "In the Shadow of the Cross" by Saturday. Two years ago I had been in the Authors' Alley and didn't see a book.

Two people grabbed me after panels during the con to sign books they had brought with them, a copy of "Cross" as well as "Another Girl, Another Planet".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...