Sunday, November 05, 2017

Go and pre-order it now!

A few fans and friends have expressed surprise that I am participating in the anthology “More Alternative Truths”.

I did not support Donald Trump for the Republican nomination. I won’t say how I eventually did vote last year, but I have swung from Libertarian to Green over the years, depending on the candidates in the race. I know it’s a cliché, but some people like me really do “vote for the man” – or woman.

When I was asked to contribute to the anthology, there was no doubt in my mind I wanted to participate. Donald Trump is a rich source for satire. I respect the office of President, but no man is above criticism – or ridicule.

The challenge to produce a story worthy of its theme seemed to have brought out one of my best efforts. “Queens Crossing”, I believe, is one of the best alternate histories I have ever written.

Defending free speech is a big reason why I wanted to be a part of this anthology. The editors also seemed to reach out in a genuinely ecumenical way and draw in authors of all persuasions. I am joined in the Table of Contents by the likes of David Brin and Mike Resnick – hardly left-wingers themselves.

Literature should stand apart from personal opinion. If you go through life deciding whether or not you personally like the individual author, or his opinions, or whether he/she is a dog or cat person, and base your decision to read their works based on that - you'll deprive yourself of a lot of good reading.

It reminds me of the family I knew who stopped being Dallas Cowboy fans after 1989, because they were Southern Baptists - and so was Landry. When Jerry Jones fired Landry, they stopped being Cowboys fans because he fired a Baptist.

This talented line-up in "More Alternative Truths" has contributed to a volume that is in the best tradition of free speech, expression and thought – while also being entertaining. This anthology will make you think, perhaps chuckle, or even become thoughtful. I am proud to be a part of it.

2 comments:

  1. Twist and squirm all you want - you're the enemy now. Good luck finding any allies on the Green side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is called Taking Stuff Too Seriously. Chill dude. I know what I like and I know what I'm doing. Free Will and all that? Cripes.

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...