Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Shrinking markets

Over the weekend I sent off a story to Red Sun magazine. They replied yesterday "Unfortunately, we must return it to you as we are on indefinite hiatus."

I'm grateful that even though they have closed, they were professional enough to still send a email. A lot of other venues, under similar circumstances, would have simply never replied. I had this happen recently with Perihelion magazine.

This highlights the disturbing shrinkage of respectable markets for short s-f fiction. It looked like a few years ago that the internet was leading to a proliferation of new markets, but I suspect many of them simply can't generate any revenue to cover whatever small overhead they have.

Even with a "4 the LUV" market, the owners must have a real job someplace and I'm sure become strapped for time.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to hear this. We need more markets. OTOH, I think you're right about people who operate these markets being strapped for time and cash. I know I've almost stopped blogging and reviewing simply because there are too many "real life" demands on my time. And all that costs me is time, not money.

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...