Sunday, September 11, 2016

The mind boggles

Jim Wright should be remembered in the s-f world as the sanctimonious poser who lovingly crafted in his workshop those wooden ass-terisks handed out at the Hugo ceremony last year.

Since he doesn't recognize how hateful and disrespectful that was, he can't be trusted as either an honest or intelligent person.

Wright served in the Navy and seems intent on being known as the most PC and abusive veteran in the U.S.

He has a blog and in marking the anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attack, put forth a emotional screed that has been making the rounds. In his peroration, he states:

"Frankly, I have had enough of 9-11. Fuck 9-11. I'm not going to watch the shows. I'm not going to any of the memorials.

"I'm not going to the 9-11 sales at Wal-Mart. I don't want to hear about 9-11. I for damned sure am not interested in watching politicians of either party try to out 9-11 each other.

"I'm tired of this national 9-11 PTSD. I did my bit for revenge, I went to war, I'll remember the dead in my own time in my own way.

"I'm not going to shed a damned tear today."

Yeah, he has his right to free speech, and I have the right to denounce him, too.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:30 AM

    What do I think? He is part of the reason for an observation I made back in 2009.

    "I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. Ask most people the significance of December 7th and you will get a thoughtful look for a couple of seconds and maybe they’ll remember Pearl Harbor. Ask them what November 11th is and you’ll get a blank look. (It’s Veterans Day.) I could go on and on. But ask them the first day of the (fill-in-the-blank) season and you’ll get an almost immediate response.

    I haven’t forgotten. And while I know my small gestures and thoughts mean very little in the grand scheme of life. I will remember the men and women and children who died in the planes and buildings eight years ago, those who tried to fight back, and those who ran IN to those burning buildings to save the lives of others. I will remember the families of all those people. And I will say to all of them YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN.

    And, finally, to the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces through out the world, past and present, Thank You for your time and service."

    This year's thoughts are of a darker nature.
    "We, the people, have become soft. We are no longer the same nation that rose up in December of 1941. We’re too busy fighting with ourselves over petty things like pronouns, social justice, and whether or not an athlete has the right to sit out during the National Anthem at a game. We’ve become too selfish and blind.

    But it is not too late. We can still be that nation. We just have to remember that it wasn’t dependence on our government that made us strong. It was when We, the People, stood up, shouldered our burdens, and said This is MY land. We will work the land. We will make our lives here and when the time comes I, and mine, will Defend this land.

    We may have stumbled, but we have not fallen.

    I remember 9/11 – and I wear my patriotic emblems with PRIDE. I will honor those who gave that last great measure, and I will honor those who are standing on that line today. I may get angry, I may think we’re on the wrong path but always remember: THIS IS MY LAND AND I, AND MINE, WILL DEFEND HER."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Wow - you are a sanctimonious prat, Antonelli... enjoy the end of your career. Bye, Felicia....

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...