Monday, June 29, 2015

Back home

Coming home from SoonerCon in Oklahoma City reminds me that I've attended three conventions in just about five weeks - ConQuest in Kansas City May 22-24, ApolloCon in Houston June 19-21, and SonnerCon June 26-28. Now for a break - I have a week off for a summer vacation this week. My next convention will be ArmadilloCon Convention in Austin July 24-26.

A Facebook friend asked me today, "What do you get out of this much con-going? It's not a financial benefit is it? I'm curious."

I replied that I do it for self-promotion and networking. I have seen the benefits accumulate over the years of people getting to meet and know you a bit, to know that you're a real person. I suppose it works for me because I'm very outgoing, and I'm also a much better public speaker than a writer.

I also feel this year I have a special obligation to get out there because of my Hugo nominations. I feel if I'm asking people to consider my virtues as a writer, they have the right to see me and buttonhole me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...