Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Raygun Chronicles interview


The kickstarter drive for Raygun Chronicles is in its final stretch. Bryan Thomas Schmidt has been posting interviews with contributors along the way. Here is mine:

Contributor Interview: Lou Antonelli
Update #26 · Mar. 04, 2013 · comment  
$4555 and steadily climbing with 3 days left (closes Thursday night 8:29 p.m. ET). Word is spreading and we are on the way. I think we have a darn good shot. Meanwhile, Lou Antonelli is so excited he's posted to 100s of places online just by himself. So here's an interview about Lou and his story!

Contributor: Lou Antonelli
Story: The Silver Dollar Saucer
Where'd the idea for the story come from?

When I am blocked, I resort to using a Maguffin to get me off high center. I always carry around a silver dollar in my pocket for good luck; when I am nervous I fidget with it (when I am REALLY nervous I start flipping it.) My very first published short story, “Silvern” – which was published in Revolution SF in June 2003 – used a silver dollar as a Maguffin, and back in 2007 I was blocked again and reached into my pocket for the silver dollar again. This time I had the idea to use a western setting, since back in the 19th Century people commonly used silver coins. Sacks of coins made me think of a stagecoach robbery, and we were off.

Where'd your interest in science fiction and fantasy come from?
Watching the old classic shows like “The Twilight Zone” and “Outer Limits” spurred my imagination. Then I started reading Heinlein, Asimov and DelRey.

What is it about space opera that appeals to you?
It gives you a setting to work out ideas free of the constraints of modern society.

Where else can we find your published fiction? My collections are available on Amazon. Some of my most recent online fiction is available at BuzzyMag and Daily Science Fiction. With 76 short stories published in ten years, I’m easy to find.

Who are some writers you enjoy reading and who have influenced you?
Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein and Rod Serling.

Who's your favorite space opera character of all time? The character I enjoyed the most was Garak on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...