Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Never say never

Although I'm not seeking convention invites any more, on the other hand I'm not going to snub any con that is nice enough to ask me, and sure enough, I received an invite last week to attend GalaxyFest in Colorado Springs next month.

I considered attending GalaxyFest in 2012, but had to beg out because of health concerns. I already had my first bout with the flu the previous December and was badly run down as a result of that as well as working extra hours because staffing problems on the job. One thing I have learned is that, when you have working parents as employees, they often are out sick - not just when they are sick - but when their kids are sick.

The folks at GalaxyFest asked me to consider attending this year as an author, and I have decided to accept. The slate of guests looks pretty laid back, and I only have on other firm commitment this year, to ConDFW the following weekend (which being in Dallas and only two hours away is practically local). Since I'm not going to LoneStarCon in San Antonio and there really isn't an ArmadilloCon this year, I don't see a terrible demand on my time.

Strangely enough, my dislike for going to cons and getting snubbed by big shot pro authors peaked right at the time my schedule changed to where I could take a full weekend off. Since 2007 I have had a work schedule that required me to work Saturdays, which required me to often only attend cons starting Saturday night (such as I did at SoonerCon last year) or only on Sunday (which is what I did at FenCon in September), but my schedule changed as of Dec. 1st.

I have never attended a con in Colorado, so I am willing to give it a try. The guests authors at GalaxyFest seem among the nice guys, and the con got a great deal on the hotel rooms. Frontier Airways has frequent flights from Dallas to Colorado. So I am giving it a shot. I plan to take my manual typewriter and show young people how it was done at my author's table. I will be there Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 9 and 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...