Saturday, June 20, 2009

"The Centurion and the Rainman"

Started my latest short story Wednesday, essentially finished it yesterday. I will probably polish it up and run off a copy to proof this evening. Came in at 5,600 words. It's another divergence for me, it's a near future tale (set in 2036). It explains what happened in 2012, and who autistic children really are.

Anyone who read "The Witch of Waxahachie" will see my fascination with magic versus science as competing lifestyles. In this case, the worlds overlap, with the science world oppressing the magic world. I like the neologism "Apartech" - it won't come as a surprise that I studied South African history in college. The name of the protagonist, Andy Donard, plays off the name of a famous South African security officer who helped behind the scenes to bring down the Apartheid regime - Don Card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...