Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blogging from Galveston

I'm in Galveston right now, at the tail-end of the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors (APME) annual meeting. In addition to the usual panels on topics of interest to people in the industry, there were the presentation of annual press awards. Our staff photographer took a third place in spots news photography - I'm sure she's pleased.

The event also includes a fund raiser auction and dinner to raise money for journalism scholarships. Among the fund raisers was the sale of books that the larger newspapers received as review copies. There were some great deals there. I assumed I would be able to pick up something in the genre that some newspaper hadn't been able to make heads or tales of. I was right.

I found the audio version of "The Yiddish Policeman's Union", unopened. It's unabridged, a 10 CD set with 12 hours worth of reading - the price on the box is $39.95. I got it for $3.33. I also got an uncorrected review copy of Chabon's "Gentlemen of the Road" for nothing.

I also picked up a framed political cartoon about the Mars Rover that was done byy Etta Hulme of the Fort Worth Star-telegram in 2004. I will scan it sometime after I get home and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...