Sunday, February 06, 2005

Zip Code 10016

One of my chores for this weekend was to check the galleys for my Asimov's story. I found only three things worth correcting - a "four" when I meant "for", changing "on to" to "onto" and a paragraph break I didn't recall having.
I attached a note to Brian Bienowski, saying that because the story ("A Rocket for the Republic") is written as a monologue by a 200-year old uneducated Texan, a lot of things probably "look" wrong - but that's the way I wrote it.
Another one of my chores for this weekend was to write a letter to William F. Buckley, Jr. in New York letting him know that my story, "Won't You Come Home, Bill Buckley?", will be going up next week at Bewildering Stories. Since he's a character in the story, I felt I should tell him as a courtesy.
I dropped the envelopes off at the post office on my way to the supermarket at around 1:30 p.m. When I did I noticed both Asimov's and The National Review -where I am writing Buckley - both have the same zip code. They must be around the corner from each other in Manhattan.
I have "The Runner at Dawn" ready to mail to Challenging Destiny. I'm still keeping up with about 20 stories out in slushy piles at the same time - although honestly, with some of these smaller publications, I don't know whether they're alive or dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...