Thursday, January 06, 2005

Getting All Caught Up

Wow, I haven't had a chance to update this blog since Christmas Eve. But when you're really busy, you just have to set priorities and let some things drop.
Needless to say, like with so many people, there's a lot of planning to do in conjunction with Christmas. Things were especially strained this year because Patricia sprained her back around the middle of the month. It was touch and go whether she'd have to go see a doctor. The crisis passed, but not without a lot of rest, with the result that I had to finish the Christmas shopping. I got the last of the presents bought on the Monday before Christmas. (Remember, the nearest shopping mall is 45 miles away in Tyler).
Patricia was able to wrap all the gifts up, and I got them to the local office supply store by the Thursday before Christmas - not quite in time to get there by Christmas Day, but close enough. I was happy we came as close as we did, all things considered.
We spent the Christmas weekend visiting; her mother on Christmas Day, and her father Dec. 26 (her parents are divorced). Mom lives in Dallas and dad lives in Cedar Hill. We drove the round trip both days - over 400 miles. Again, a lot of work - but worth it.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take much of a break. The local basketball teams played in a tournament Monday through Wednesday after Christmas in a town 85 miles away. I had to make the round trip 3 days in a row. I did have Thursday off, and then had more games to cover Friday (New Year's Eve).
At midnight, I had to attend the swearing-in of the new county sheriff. Boy, was I wiped New Year's Day!
After all this hustle and bustle and running around, I got pretty run down and have been battling the flu ever since. Of course, this is the time of the year when lots of people have the flu - but I guess I'm frustrated because I know I pretty much had it coming because of the pace I've had to keep up.
Have there been any science fiction developments recently? Well, Monday I got a check for $5 from Alienskin magazine for my flash piece they ran, "They Call It Time". Not much, but note: It's the first actual payment I have ever gotten for a story! I photocopies the check before I cashed it, and used it to buy a frozen pizza and a TV dinner. So there!
Bill Rupp at Continuum Science Fiction says they should have the fall 2004 issue printed by now (running a little late, but that's par for the course for these small publications). The table of contents is up on his web site. My story, "Double Crossing the Styx", is listed. If and when I get a copy of the magazine, it will mark my first ink and paper publication. Another small check should be on the way.
Referring back to those basketball games, I DID have time between games to scribble notes and outlines in a pad, so I did get some science fiction work done. I worked up a full 2-page outline for a story idea I've been kicking around for a while, "The Devil Woman of Mars vs. the P.A.R.T.Y. Animals of Texas " (P.A.R.T.Y. standing for Provisional Army - Republic of Texas Youth). Something screwball and cowpunk and fun.
Otherwise, the only thing I've written recently was that story "Rockets and Reindeer" I posted on Christmas Eve. I just about did it to keep in shape because I knew I would have a fallow period here.
Well, I have to work on some other submissions. Oh, by the way, today's my birthday. I'm 48.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...