Thursday, September 26, 2019

Fencon panels in the rear view mirror

I had five panels at Fencon, and I have to say all went very well. My first was at 3 p.m. Friday, on "The Futrure Is Now", with M.T. Reiten. Adrian Simmons was also supposed to be on the panel, but he sent word ahead that he was delayed because of bad weather in Oklahoma (he lives in Norman) and couldn't make it. He arrived at the con later.

I've been on panels with M.T. before but it has been a few years and it was good to see him again. There was a large turnout and the audience was engaged. This being a type of futurist-oriented panel, M.T. was much more conversant with the topic that I was, but we both enjoyed it and the audience did, too.

My next panel was at 5 p.m. on "When Good Research Goes Bad". All panelists made it - , Melissa Tatum, Tex Thompson, and Rob Rogers. Again, I have been on panels with Mel Tatum in the past, especially at the late lamented Conestoga in Tulsa (a great convention in its day), and it was good to see her. Again, good turnout and everyone enjoyed it.

My last panel on Friday was the Liars' Panel at 9 p.m. This was the one panel I moderated, and all panelists were there - Selina Rosen, Kathy Turski. Linda Donahue and Ben Gibbs. If you missed it, you missed a wild time indeed. 'Nuff said.

Saturday at noon I joined Rie Sheridan Rose and Kathryn Sullivan for a panel called "All Tales Are Done", about fairy tales and myths. The turnout for this panel was smaller, but everyone enjoyed it, especially because I think the trio of panelists was especially knowledgeable about the subject.

My last panel was Sunday at 2 p.m. on "The Cyber Future Is Now" with Stephen Patrick. A third panelist didn't make it. This panel was a lot like my first, and as with M.T. Reiten, I think I was the weaker link, but I was impressed with the turnout for so late in the convention, and the audience was very engaged.

1 comment:

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...