Monday, January 14, 2019

Better late than never?

Here's an anecdote about growing up with foreign-born parents some of you may find interesting, especially the science fiction fans among you.

When I was in 7th grade, I had an English teacher who saw "2001" on its initial release. She was so amazed and impressed by the film, she offered to take all her English students to see it, and pay for it herself!

Being a school field trip, we all needed to get parental permission. When I explained it, my mother refused. Being such an old world cynic, she couldn't believe anyone would do such a selfless deed.

"I don't know what it is," she said. "But she's up to something."

So I had to stay behind while everyone else went to see the film. My teacher was a bit startled that I couldn't come, but she accepted it and the subject never came up again.

Years later I bought a DVD and watched "2001".

In 2004. At that point I'd already sold a story to Asimov's Science Fiction. I thought it was silly for a science fiction writer to have never seen the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...