Sunday, July 17, 2016
"The technological equivalent of Pearl Harbor"
The SSC itself was being constructed due south across the county line in Ellis County, and would encircle (underground) the county seat of Waxahachie. The labs and other facilities were supposed to move to the actual SSC site later.
Coverage of the construction of the SSC was an ongoing news item in my paper, until - of course - Congress cancelled the funding. My editorial criticizing the decision was quoted in The New York Times, and Sen. Phil Gramm quoted one of my lines in a speech, that it was "The technological equivalent of Pearl Harbor."
Years later - after I started a second career as a spec fic writer - I drew upon the experience as an inspiration and jumping off point for my short story "The Witch of Waxahachie", which Mike Resnick liked and Eric Flint bought for Jim Baen's Universe. It was published in April 2008.
Back in 2003 my wife and I bought some property in a tax resale auction as an investment. It has an undeveloped cabin, and over the years we have used it as long-term storage. We are finally selling it, and so yesterday I went to retrieve whatever was in there we wished to save.
Going through a briefcase of very old stuff, I found this button. I dusted it off and gave it a polish, and it looks good as new.
Sure brings back memories.
Lou Antonelli fiction archived online
- "Ad Valorem" - Omni Reboot
- "Bindlestiff's Daughter" - The Lorelei Signal
- "The Return of Alfred Bester" - International Speculative Fiction
- "Double Exposure" - Daily Science Fiction
- "Great White Ship" - Daily Science Fiction
- "The Centurion and the Rainman" - Buzzy Mag
- "The Goddess of Bleecker Street" - Kalkion
- "Irredenta" - World SF Blog
- "Ghost Writer" - Flashes in the Dark
- "Avatar" - Darker Matter
- "Black Hats and Blackberrys" Bewildering Stories
- "Pen Pal" - Revolution SF
- "I Got You" - Bewildering Stories
- "Big Girl" - Ultraverse
- "S.P.P.A.M." - Bewildering Stories
- "Silence is Golden" - Revolution SF
- "Fermi's Fraternity" - Planetary Stories
- "The Rocket-Powered Cat" - Revolution SF
- "Video Killed the Radio Star" - Apehelion
- "Silvern" - Revolution SF
- "The Clock Struck None" - True Review
- "The Clock Struck None" - Analog
- "Texas & Other Planets" - Missions Unknown
- "Texas & Other Planets" - Jayme Blaschke's Gibberish
- "Texas & Other Planets" - Amazon
- "Dispatches from The Troubles" - SF Revu
- "Dispatches from The Troubles" - SF Site
- "Fantastic Texas" - Serial Distractions
- "Fantastic Texas" - Tangent Online
- "Professor Malakoff's Amazing Ethereal Telegraph" - Tangent online
- "The Witch of Waxahachie' - April 2008 - SF Signal
- "The Witch of Waxahachie" - April 2008 - Spiral Galaxy
- Latest biography
- Good news greeted with silence
- Bad news from a nice guy
- An oldie but goodie
- It can be done
- "The technological equivalent of Pearl Harbor"
- Back from LibertyCon
- Those who can...
- A good example of a bad person
- Latest efforts
- Causerie on reaching 3,000 Facebook Friends
- Cool acquaintances
- Working for a living
- ▼ July (14)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (152)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (173)
- ► 2011 (194)
- ► 2010 (184)
- ► 2009 (190)
- ► 2008 (150)
- ► 2007 (77)
- ► 2006 (100)
- ► 2005 (131)
The content of this web site is subject to the following creative commons license: Click here for the fine print