Saturday, November 05, 2011

Regrets to Contraflow

I had to shoot off this email this morning to Ray Boudreau and the folks at Contraflow:

Ray -
I'm terribly sorry, I have to beg out. My rental car developed a problem at 3:30 a.m. this morning that made me turn around and head home rather than break down in the middle of nowhere. There are long stretches of nothing between East Texas and New Orleans, and I was afraid of getting stranded.

I really appreciate the invite, and I'm sorry it didn't work out. but I've had some terrible experiences in the past with problems developing when I traveled out of town to conventions and I've turned into a big chicken.

Please keep me in mind for the future. I hope everything goes well this weekend.

Lou Antonelli

---

The problem was a warning light came on about the tire pressure, and I mean it when I say there are long stretches of absolute nothingness between here and New Orleans. I had no tire pressure gauge, and no way to air up any tires. If there was a flat, I can't change the tire (because of carpal tunnel syndrome). In the end the decision to turn around was made because, 1) My blood pressure was soaring over the nervousness and aggravation, and 2) my blood pressure is also soaring because I am irate at Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I rent cars to travel for peace of mind, and having a panic attack at 3:30 a.m. in Bigfoot Fart, East Texas, is not peace of mind. I didn't quite make it to the Louisiana state line before I tossed in the towel and turned around.

Oh, I guess I'm showing my age, but I can remember when you could look at a car tire and tell if it was getting low. In this case, the tires are so shallow that they look pre-flattened to me.

Then again, that may be why they have pressure indicators on the cars now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...