Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Magic, the Titanic, et al

My story "The Centurion and the Rainman" has been posted on a private beta reading board with the publication that's accepted it. I think this is the first time I've done this. I can see the usefulness of a beta reading group, as opposed to say, a critique group.

The story is set in a future world where magic has emerged but is suppressed by the existing technological order. The comparisons to the former apartheid regime in South Africa are obvious and even a part of the story's world; the ruling government is referred to as the "Apartech Regime".

Heard from David Gray at 4 Star Stories. He's received a tale I've sent him for his second issue. Like "Meet Me at the Grassy Knoll", this one is also set at a great disaster of the 20th century, in this case, the sinking of the Titanic. "Mak Siccar" also involves time travel, but with my usual Texas twist.

I'm sending "Tell Gilgamesh I'm Sorry" to the New Yorker. It didn't get picked up by the genre mag I sent it to. I've gotten a few notes back with some recent rejections from The New Yorker, it would be a great market to crack. "Centurion" was a story that came back from The New Yorker with a note from the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...