Thursday, March 06, 2008

An authentic Texas voice

One of the things that tickles me is when a critic opines in a review about the authenticity of my stories set in Texas (which is most of them). The irony - which is not lost on anyone who knows me personally - is that I was born in Massachusetts, went to college in New York City, and didn't move to Texas until I was 28. Yet somehow, I am being pegged as a "Texas" author.
I am comfortable writing about Texas locales, but whether I am a true Texas author is subject to some debate. Regardless, my only concern is whether my stories are fun. If they are, I don't really care. I don't have that much of an "artistic" temperament about my speculative fiction - I guess because I still think of myself as a journalist rather than a writer.
In the spirit of playing along, though, I have changed the title and look of the blog to reflect this Texas bent. I hope that makes it a little more interesting.
AND in this spirit, here is a very appropriate video. Sorry for the ad, but that's the price you have to pay:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...