Friday, April 29, 2005

Cinnamon and Sacharine

The golf team finished 4th at regionals. No trip to Austin for them this year.

Took Thursday off completely as comp time because of backlog of hours covering sporting events. Went with Patricia to Texas A&M-Commerce to use the library. Blew a tire on the way home. While merging on the highway, 18-wheeler wouldn't yield and my right wheels went off the concrete. Front right tire blew on a pothole between the pavement and shoulder. Thank goodness for AAA and cell phones.

I had to cover 3 different events today - regional track and field, a softball playoff game and a baseball game. All in different cities. Haven't looked at the trip odemeter, but I'll guess it was a 150-mile swing around the region. Started the day at the office at 8 a.m., got home at 9:45 p.m. This line-up was one of the reasons I took Thursday off.

Nice thing is, everyvody won - baseball team, softbal team, and we had at least one kid qualify for state.

Nothing on the fiction front, except that after watching a TV report Wednesday about a new Broadway musical called "Spamalot" - loosely based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I really got a bellyfull of the Arthurian Mythos. When they trotted out The Lady of the Lake, I muttered "I'm sick of this Arthurian crap! Machine-gun the (Bleep!)!"

Which got me thinking, and I came up with a title, "The Man Who Machine-Gunned the Lady in the Lake". After 2 hours and 4 cups of coffee laced with cinnamonn and sacharine, I have a 2,100-word first draft of the story. It takes place in the small town of Camelot, Texas, and involves, witches, The Lady in the Lake, an old boy wood chooper named Heavy Heyward, an AK-47 and.. well, I hope you get to read it some time.

Jeez, I don't know where I come up with this stuff. It's also one of the few stories I've ever done that fantasy. No science fiction in there that I can see - at least none you'd have to list on the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...