Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Live and let live

Looking back on Soonercon, I was reminded that ever since I was outed as a Sad Puppy in 2015 there are people who won't talk to me any more. Of course, if you are a guest or panelist at a convention, you are asked - confidentially - if there are people you do not want to be on panels with. But you still sometimes can't avoid colliding with them in a hallway or someplace else.

There were people who used to be friendly with me who now go the other way or ignore me. Not a big deal. You really weren't a friend in the first place. If you are a liberal and put ideology above camaraderie, I really don't care what you think of me anyway. If you are scared of being ostracized because of being seen with me, I feel sorry for you, and it says a lot about the current atmosphere in literary s-f that people are afraid of being spied upon, reported and denounced.

One thing that puzzles me is that I could never have told who would and wouldn't snub me. Some people seem to have a live and let live attitude, and the others - well, I don't know what they think, they don't talk to me any more.

Life is too short to worry about such bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...