Thursday, August 02, 2018

Never knew it

I've always found a library discard sale to be a great place to buy neat old books. When I was a student at Columbia University in New York City I would buy books that way at Butler Library. I still have a number of them, including a 1920s copy of H.G. Wells "Outline of World History".

Our local library has its own sales room, and I recently picked up a copy of a 1947 book called "These Wonderful People". I never heard of the publisher, The Peoples Book Club, so I looked it up.

I never knew Sears had its own book club, from 1943 to 1959, that sold books through its catalog. That was the Peoples Book Club. It made sense in light of the quality. The book's pages were pulp paper - you hardly ever see that in hardcovers - and the cover was in very bad condition.

I was able to do a slam-bang repair job on the cover, though, thanks to a liberal application of Elmers Clear School Glue, and so it's back on my shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...