Sunday, December 31, 2017

My sixth story of the year

My sixth short story publication in 2017 was “Riders of the Red Shift”, published in the inaugural issue of Astounding Frontiers in July.

It was originally written for "Rayguns Over Texas", the anthology put together for the WorldCon that was held in San Antonio in 2013. BY then I had already been pegged as non-PC by the "in crowd" and blacklisted by editor Rick Klaw. You probably never heard of "Rayguns Over Texas" because it sucked. Klaw does, too.

It was later picked up by a magazine publisher who said it was one of the best things he'd ever read, but his little publication got so behind publication schedule that I withdrew it two years after I signed the contract for it.

That was because James Reasoner of Rough Edges Press was putting together his anthology "Rockets Red Glare", and I thought "Riders" would be a great fit. James agreed, and took it.

Then Superversive Press launched a new magazine, Astounding Frontiers, and I thought "Riders" would be such a good fit that I took it back from James - promising to write him a brand new story - and sent it to Jason Rennie at Astounding, who did did indeed publish it in Issue No. 1.

The story? It's about how we sometimes clean up and cover up old historical facts to make people look better. It's set a few hundred years in the future, on the fringes of the solar system - another unusual foray for me into real outer space.

Here's the link to Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...