Wednesday, December 27, 2017

All feedback is good

My position is that any feedback from an editor on a submission is helpful. For example, this accompanied a recent rejection:

"While limited attention is paid to plot, the concept is firmly in charge of this story, and most of the word count consists solely of the undeveloped characters simply discussing the premise. While the idea is strong, I'm afraid the execution fell flat for me."

Well, you know what, the editor is right. I tossed off the story on an impulse because of a neat idea that popped into my head. When what you have is all idea and no plot or characterization, that's a conceit.

I HATE it when editors see through you!

But the rejection note confirms that it still is a neat idea, so maybe I can add a little something to make it better.

Like a plot, maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...