Thursday, August 04, 2016

How to write, edit and sell a story in four hours

Sci-Phi Journal published my short story "The Yellow Flag" on Monday. This is the story that I started one day after lunch when I realized I had some free time on my hands. I think it took an hour and a half to write - it's only 1,842 words long - and then I spent a half hour proofing it before I shot it off to Jason Rennie.

I thought it was the kind of story Jason might like, and I was right. I think he emailed me with the acceptance by 4:45 p.m.

I really doubt I'll ever top that record for a quick turnaround.

Now, like they say on the commercials, don't do this at home - and don't feel bad if you can't do it yourself.

First, being a journalist by profession, I can write fast and fairly clean. That's not to say the story wouldn't have benefited from more editing. But heck, when I looked at it, I said to myself "I think this could be published as is", and I sent it off to see what happens.

"The Yellow Flag" is my 100th published short story, and it is only the THIRD to be accepted on the first submission (the other two were to Asimov's and Daily Science Fiction).

Secondly, it helps to know your market, and having already been published in Sci Phi Journal, I had an idea in advance that it might be a good fit.

The story was written, submitted and accepted on May 6, 2015. Even with a semi-pro market like Sci Phi Journal it took over a year to see publication.

Here's a link if you haven't read it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...