Saturday, January 18, 2014

Email mistake

Last weekend I spent a little time typing and sending out emails drumming up support and attention - in light of the upcoming Feb. 15 deadline for Nebula nominations - among fellow members of the SFWA for my story "Hearts Made of Stone", which was published in the Song Story anthology by Wakefied Mahon.
I'm proud of the story, and I'm glad I tried to garner it more attention. Like a proud mother, I think every author should love their own offspring.
In my haste I listed everyone's email address in the CC line of the email, which made them visible to everyone. A few people quickly noted the blunder. I thanked them, noting it was a mistake and a bone-headed move.
Some people were very nice about it, and some people obviously think I'm moron. I sent off an email today to one particular person who apparently has a very low opinion of me. Here is is the text, minus - of course - any information about the subject. I think it is as good as good an explanation as any of what I set out to do:
---
When I sat down last weekend and spent a few hours pulling out emails from the SFWA membership roster to send my email to about "Hearts Made of Stone", I looked for people I had previously met, dealt with in some fashion, or who I knew of and respected.
You were someone I had heard positive things about in the past, and although we've never met or dealt with each other, I thought you're someone whose opinion I should respect. Which is why I added your name.
Sorry if I offended you. I am just an amateur writer, and in my enthusiasm for my story, I was a little careless. That CC copying was just block-headed, but I've apologized to everyone who mentioned it to me. I apologize to you, also.
My "real" job is as a small-town newspaper editor, and I'm very happy, so any extra fun I get in life from fiction writing is just gravy. I'm one of those old-fashioned types who believes failing is not a problem, the problem is when you don't try at all.
Working to gain a little exposure for my story was a learning experience, so I'm glad I did it, even though it didn't turn out exactly how I planned or hoped. We live and learn.
Maybe some day we'll run into each other, and we'll laugh about this over a beer or a burger. In the meantime, good luck in whatever makes you happy in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...