Thursday, March 07, 2013

Dinner with Jay


Drove to Houston yesterday to have dinner with Jay Lake, who was visiting the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center as part of his ongoing battle with the disease. This group gathered for an open dinner at Dimassi's Mediterranean Buffet, which is on Kirby Street close to both the hospital and Reliant Stadium.

Shown are, from left, Jim Crider, Lisa Costello, Suzan Harden, Trey Palmer, Perry Harden, John DeNardo, Jay, and Leslie Claire Walker. I took the photo, obviously.
The dinner lasted about two hours. Jay apologized for being somewhat hazy because of his chemotherapy. I was a bit curdled myself after the five hour drive (John DeNardo lives maybe an hour away, all the others were from Houston). I left Mount Pleasant at 1 p.m. and got to the restaurant at 6:10, I drove non-stop.

I was happy to have the opportunity to meet Jay in person, and I enjoyed the tall tales and anecdotes. I think everyone had a good time, and we all wish Jay well as he fights his health battle.

It was very educational to me to actually meet Jay and hear about his background and experience. I feel I understand him a lot better.

Because the Houston Rodeo is going on - which got completely past me - there was no chance of getting a motel room, so I drove an hour and stayed overnight in Cleveland in Montgomery County. I drove back to Mount Pleasant this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...