Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Panels at ConDFW

My panels at ConDFW went very well. My first, at 10 a.m. Saturday, was on the subject of how to get started writing. It was the first panel I moderated. I was joined by Ciara Gold, Lee Martinez and Dusty Rainbolt. We all had great anecdotes and information for the audience, and I think they enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Between that panel and my next one, at 3 p.m., I ran up to Plano, to a shopping mall, and picked up a skirt from Talbots that Patricia had ordered. I caught lunch across the street at a Wendy's.

The 3 p.m. panel on Philip K. Dick only consisted of myself, Guest of Honor Tim Powers and Robert Stikmanz. Tim had a lot of first-hand information on Dick - having known him personally from 1972 to 1982 - and Robert also had some interesting information. This was also enjoyable for the audience.

That evening - thanks to some help via cell phone from my brother - I found a Middle Eastern restaurant that I used to visit when I lived in Dallas County, called The Tasty Greek on Belt Line Road in Addison between Webb Chapel and Josey Lane. I shanghaied Bill Ledbetter.

I ate a large appetizer platter and a gyro, while Bill had a gyro platter. The food was great, and Bill agreed. The proprietor said he recognized me and asked me where I had been. I moved from Dallas County nine years ago, so it is quite possible I may not have been there since 2002.

On Sunday morning at 11 a.m. I moderated the panel on Escaping from the Slush Pile. I was joined by Ciara Gold again, Jaye Wells, Selina Rosen and O.M. Grey. Both Ciara and I brought handouts for the audience, and we all had great advice and example for the audience. I think they really got a lot out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...