Monday, September 21, 2009

Back from FenCon

I had a great time at FenCon this weekend. Here is a photo of a highlight, me and Howard Waldrop after Howard had his reading Sunday afternoon.

My panel schedule was very accommodating of my work schedule. My panels Friday and Saturday were in the evening, so I could work during the day as per normal. That required that Friday I drive into Dallas, attend panels, and then drive back to Mount Pleasant, but it wasn't so bad.

My first panel at 9 p.m. Friday, on Femme Fatales, gave me the opportunity to meet GOH Lois McMaster Bujold. Old chum Brad Sinor was on that one, along with Julia Mandala and Melanie Fletcher.

Right afterwards at 10 p.m. came the panel on Plan 9 and Bad Movies. This was probably the most fun, for the panelists as well as the audience. I was the moderator, but Keith Candido (the artist GOH), Lee Martinez and Teddy Harvia provided a lot of the spark.

I drove back to Mount Pleasant (arriving at 1:30 a.m.) went to work Saturday and dove back out in time to make the 7 p.m. panel on Southern Fandom, moderated by Warren Buff, the Fan GOH. It gave me an opportunity to meet Alan Jackson. I was joined by old chum Lee Martindale.

Spent time visiting in the bar and in a few suites, and drove out to Oak Cliff to crash with mother-in-law. Got a good night's sleep.

Walked into the hotel Sunday and ran right into Howard in the bar; we were shortly joined by Alan Jackson. Now that was a conversation!

Attended Howard's reading at 1 p.m. He read excerpts from "The Moon World". It was tons of fun, and it was great to see Howard doing and feeling so well, then as well as throughout the convention.

Panel at 2 p.m. was on Self Promotion. Picked up a lot of good tips from Selena Rosen, Rachel Caine, Rie Rose, Shanna Swendson and Pat Blair. Attendance was still very good, although the con was winding down. In fact, all the panels were well attended.

Pat Blair is a relative newcomer who retired as a journalist; journalism is not that common a background for a s-f and/or fantasy writer.

Drove back home, arrived in Mount Pleasant at 6 p.m. Got another good night's sleep, and was back at work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...