Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Soonercon

For the time I attended, Soonercon was alright. Of course, as I noted in a previous post, I got off to a bad start. I missed my panel and reading Friday, and didn't get to the con until about mid-day Saturday. I made my two panels, one at noon and one at 4 p.m. and that was it - I didn't have any panels Sunday. Gorg Huff from the 1632 gang was good enough to take me and drop my off in Dallas at my mother-in-law's on his way back to Austin Sunday. He left about mid-day, so my participation in the con was essentially just over 24 hours.

It was good to see Paula Goodlett from 1632 and Baen's again. I haven't seen her in person in about two years. It was also great to see Bill Ledbetter. As someone who lives in the Dallas area, Bill was willing to help me get there, but since my mother-in-law lives in Oak Cliff and Gorg was driving through Dallas (if you know Dallas neighborhoods, you know why it works) I accepted his offer.

My mother-in-law loaned my her car and I drove back to Mount Pleasant Sunday night. Patricia drove the car back into Dallas today and will be staying with her for a while.

Enjoyed the stay with Beverly and Mike Saturday. We all had dinner at a great Indian restaurant. Beverly cooked breakfast Sunday. I also enjoyed the other members of their family, Zoe and Cassie - two really great Canine-Americans. Sweet pups. They seemed to like me, too.

Spent some time with Brad and Sue in the Green Room. To their credit, Soonercon had a nice Green Room. Not all cons have a Green Room and a Con Suite, and it was appreciated by a number of people. At the very least, that's where you can tell people to meet you.

I was happy to get home. I'm taking the freakin' bus to ArmadilloCon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...