Sunday, June 14, 2009

Emptying the trunk

I've been working on my next story after coming back from SoonerCon, which has the rather bizarre title of "Hopscotch and Hottentots". It sounds strange, but as much as I poke at it, I can justify the title. It's a bit of a stretch for me, it's set on a world settled by humans a thousand years in the future.

With the publication of a half dozen stories since last December - to wit:

"Video Killed the Radio Star" - Apehelion - December 2008

"Acroscaphe" (with Ed Morris) - Planetary Stories - January 2009

"The Silver Dollar Saucer" - Ray Gun Revival - January 2009

"Professor Malakoff's Amazing Ethereal Telegraph" - Science Fiction Trails No. 4 - March 2009

"Good News for the Dead" - M-Brane SF April 2009

"Airy Chick" - Alienskin magazine, June 2009

... my inventory has become depleted, which is why I seem to have become more motivated to write some new short stories. I was very happy to get some of these stories in print - "Video", "The Silver Dollar Saucer" and "Professor Malakoff" are in in my upcoming collection, "Fantastic Texas:.

Since finishing work on the collection, I've finished "Blue Tango" (with Brad Sinor), "Great White Ship" and "Mak Siccar". "Hopscotch and Hottentots" will probably be in the mail this week.

I don't know why, but these stories are coming in shorter and tighter. I actually think they have some potential. Maybe I'm improving as a fiction writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...