Thursday, January 15, 2009

And now a word from the author...

I need to note my anticipated publication schedule for "Dance With Me, Henry". I will post a chapter every Wednesday and every Sunday - so the next installment will be posted on Sunday, Jan. 18.

"Dance" is over 100,000 words long and has 16 chapters, so it will take a while to roll out. I think this schedule will allow time for everyone to read it at their leisure.

"Dance" was somewhat of an exercise - it's the first book I've ever written. I was curious to see whether I could even do it. I've seen over the years I have hung around with fiction authors that many start writing books and have trouble writing to shorter lengths. I've heard it many times - "I would write short stories but everything I write comes out to 10,000, 20,000 words." Books are real literature.

My perspective is totally the opposite. I'm a journalist. To me, a normal story is 300-600 words. When I'm at work and somebody turns in a 1,200-1,400 word story, I go "Gads!" and notify the composition department. That's probably why I've done well writing short stores, I'm very comfortable with the length.

I was just curious whether I could spin some kind of tale out to book length, and I set a goal of 100,000 words. "Henry" is the result. It may not be the greatest thing you've ever read, but I also don't think it will make your eyes bleed.

Comments would be appreciated. Stay turned for Chapter Two on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...