Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Man Who Traveled in Elephants

Drove to Houston Friday, attended the state power lifting meet all day Saturday. It was well worth it - our local boys won the gold medal for their size school. Another school only ten miles away - which we also cover - won the silver in their conference. Between the six local boys who attended, they took three gold medals and two silver. The last boy finished 4th.

The meet ran all day. I hit the road at 6:45 p.m. and drove home. I was back about 12:30 a.m.

OK, to science fiction. Friday I had lunch on the road in Tyler, and took a break to visit a book store after lunch. I bought an old copy of "Destinies VI", the Jim Baen anthology from 1988. It was the Robert Heinlein Memorial Issue.

I read through the book Friday evening while at the motel in Houston. I was especially intrigued to read "The Man Who Traveled in Elephants", which - it was noted - Heinlein's favorite story. No wonder I'd never read it. It's not science fiction - it's fantasy. Very sentimental, too.

Got back a couple of rejections via e-mail. "The Hideway" didn't clear the second round of reading at Andromeda Spaceways. They sent back a very long set of editor comments - very helpful. I probably will work on the story as a result. Futurismic rejected "Wish List" - also said nice things.

There's something I want to fix in the story - I had forgotten to do it earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...