Friday, March 22, 2019

Quite the coincidence

Many years ago, I got my start at the local community weekly newspaper in my hometown of Rockland, Massachusetts. I was paid reporter an covered local city council meetings* while I was still in high school.

One evening, the agenda included a discussion of an electrical problem at a local school. Just by coincidence, the principal of the school was named Holmes. The building inspector was named Watson.

During a lull, I noted the coincidence, and added our local state representative was also present at the meeting. His name?

Paul F.X. Moriarty.

* Yes, I know, it's really called the Board of Selectmen in Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...