Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thoughts in the rear view mirror

Looking back on Windycon, I think in retrospect it may have been wrong-headed to drive there. I had the time, and took advantage of it, but it was 13-14 hours either way. Now that I'm 60 such such a long drive seems harder to take.

Saturday morning at the convention I wasn't feeling very good, and I think it showed. At one point someone observed I seemed to be "peckish".

By that afternoon I was feeling pretty rundown, and I attributed it to the strain of the long drive. I was even getting a sore throat.

Rather than risk getting sick and laid up 850 miles from home, I went to bed early and left Sunday morning, skipping my last two panels. All things considered, I think it was a wise decision.

Those of you who follow me regularly know I had planned a similarly-long drive over the Labor Day weekend to Atlanta and Dragoncon that was thwarted by traffic woes plus inclement weather.

I wonder if I subconsciously wanted to make the drive to Chicago to prove I could still do such a long trip. Perhaps a little stubbornness?

Last year made a similar excursion to Chattanooga for Libertycon. Patricia came with me that time, and she vowed never again. She's a smart gal.

A 13-hour drive seems a lot longer when you're alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...