Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Miss him

What with the rollout of "More Alternative Truths" at Orycon in Portland, I'm reminded of an old chum who lives there, Edward Morris. We became friends as a result of his liking my short story that was published in Asimov;s in 2005, "A Rocket for the Republic", and as a result collaborated on a number of short stories, four of which were collected up in a chapbook published by Yard Dog Press in 2011, "Music for Four Hands".

Unfortunately Ed must hang out in certain circles that were extraordinarily hostile to the Sad Puppies effort in 2015. I don't like to bring that fiasco up any more, but it still hurts that we became estranged as a result. From what I can tell, he was so severely castigated for being associated with me that he lost his ever-loving mind, as least as it applies to me.

His last comments before he signed off in 2015 made me sad, and since then he's rebuffed any olive branches. It's too bad. I hope he'd doing well. He struck me as a nice guy who's had some bad breaks in life, both in terms of experiences as well as health.

Orycon in Portland reminded me of him, and I reached out in a message and suggested he'd like "More Alternative Truths". No reply, and more blocking.

Well, as Kurt Vonnegut used to say, "So it goes."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...